In today's society, if you are humble, people view you as being weak. Today's world you are supposed to have a tough exterior and interior, you are supposed to venture around like you are the most important person on this earth, and you are supposed to act like that you just do not care....about anyone or anything besides yourself, right? So. Totally. Wrong.
In my opinion, that is the problem in today's cultures. It is a me/me world. What can you do for me? How will this help me? You get the picture? I am sure certain people have already popped up in your mind haven't they?
The truth is we all need to humble ourselves and look beyond the reflection in the mirror. There is so much more that can be gained if we look beyond ourselves and look towards others.
If we could humble ourselves to our spouse, just think of doors of love and respect that would open! How can I be humble to my spouse? Here are a few ways:
- Put your spouse FIRST! Besides God, your spouse should come before ANYONE else and they need to know, without question, that they are always first. This gives a huge sense of security to the relationship.
- Admit when you are wrong and ask for forgiveness. We all have battles in our marriages, and that will always be a part of any marriage or relationship, but we have to learn to humble ourselves and sincerely apologize when we are in the wrong. Apologize, ask for forgiveness so you can move on.
- Asking and accepting forgiveness. This goes in hand with the above statement. When you truly ask for forgiveness, learn to accept it!
- Don't be prideful! Pride is one of the seven deadly sins and it can be a major destroyer in anything! You two are a team - no one should portray to be better than the other one....at all. Accept each others weaknesses and lean on each other's strengths but do not make your spouse feel like they are not good enough. Ever.
- Do not ever put your children down; instead, build them up and encourage them. If they do wrong, handle it in the right way. Show them where they are wrong and how they can change it.
- Be a true role model for your children. They will hear what you tell them but they will see what you do. Actions are much stronger than words! Remember - they are always watching!
- Teach them to serve others and take the focus of themselves.
- Get them in a good church, make them aware of prayer and sacrifice.
Humble Yourself Before the Lord:
- Jesus is the perfect example of humility - look at humbleness He portrayed out of obedience to His father to the point of death on the cross! Now that is a true example of humbleness and humility!
“And being found in human form, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” –Philippians 2:8-11
- Remember - we couldn't even have a relationship with God if it wasn't for what Jesus did for all us.
- Pray a lot.
- Follow God's instructions instead of depending on your own thoughts.
- Be willing to make sacrifices for others that will be pleasing in the Lord's sight.
What are ways that you can be humble?